Even though we all know about the damaging effects of the use of heat on our hair, it is tempting to add some texture and create a beautiful hairstyle that catches the eye. Curling irons are a classic tool used in hair styling and it helps create a princess-like look for special occassions or just when we want to add some glamour in our everyday life. But what is the correct way to use curling irons? Here are some tips on choosing and using it:
- The Right Size: For small curls the curling tong should have a diameter of about 20 mm, while waves and bigger tresses require diameter of 50 mm.
- The Right Material: Heat always damages your hair, but you can limit the harmful effect if you choose a ceramic curling iron. Ceramic curling irons are the most expensive, but they are best for people who use them often. Tourmaline curling irons are the next best alternative , but are not as good for frequent use.
- The Best Temperature: The curling iron should not be cool since it won’t curl your hair at all, but if it is too hot, it will burn it, so the best temperature for thin, dyed hair is about 200 degrees. For very thick and heavy hair you might go a little over 200 degrees, but not too much, since you risk burning it!
- The Necessary Preparation: Always condition your hair and be sure that it is completely dry when you use the curling iron. If your hair is greasy, it is advisable to wash it prior to curling, but if it is normal to dry, you can curl it anytime. A heat-protection spray is a must-have: find the one that suits your preferences and needs.
- The Step-by-Step Process: Divide your hair into sections and clip them with hair pins. Comb through each lock and stay with your hair twisted around the curling tong for about 15-20 seconds. Shape them with your fingers and apply hairspray.